- Internet Of Things: “The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to a system of interrelated, internet-connected objects that are able to collect and transfer data over a wireless network without human intervention.”
- Artificial Intelligence: “Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to think like humans and mimic their actions. The term may also be applied to any machine that exhibits traits associated with a human mind such as learning and problem-solving.”
Individually, both of these (Artificial Intelligence and the Internet of Things) are very powerful topics. When combines, ou get an even more powerful technology known as AIoT. One can think of the Internet of Things as the digital nervous system, whereas the Artificial Intelligence can be considered a brain of a system.
What Are The Super Powers Of Innovation: When AI meets IoT
Table of Contents
IoT devices use the internet to communicate, collect, and exchange information about our online activities. Every day, they generate 1 billion GB of data! That’s a lot. y the year 2025, there is expected to be 42 billion IoT devices connected globally. It is only natural at this point that these numbers will grow, and the swaths of data will too. Handling these numbers is not an easy task, and this is where AI steps in. It lends its learning capabilities to the connectivity of the IoT.
Three Key Emerging Technologies Which Empower IoT
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Programmable systems and functions which enable devices to learn, reason, and process information like humans.
- 5G Networks: Fifth generation mobile networks with high-speed, near-zero lag for real-time data processing. The successor of 4G.
- Big Data: Enormous volumes of data processed from numerous internet-connected sources.
Together, these interconnected devices are transforming the way we are connected. As well as, the way we interact with our devices at home and at work. In the process, create the AIoT (“Artificial Intelligence of Things”) in the process.
Major Segments Of AIoT
There are four major segments where AI and IoT are making an impact. The four major segments which are later further broken down are wearables, smart homes, smart city and smart industry.
Wearables such as smartwatches which continuously track and monitor the user’s performance and habits. Not only this had led to impactful applications in the health tech sector, but it also works well for sports and fitness. Especially all the sportspersons out there who have to look after their performances and habits as a daily part of their job. According to leading tech research firm Gartner, the global wearable device market is estimated to see more than $87 billion in revenue by 2023.
2. Smart Homes
The fairytales where a house can do and have everything that one could ever need is not a fairytale anymore. These houses are called smart houses. Smart homes are not just able to leverage appliances, lighting, electronic devices but they are also fast at learning a homeowner’s habits and developing automated “support.” These smart homes also help reduce electricity consumption to a great extent in the long run.
Just in case you’re wondering what is smart homes, here is a video
3. Smart City
On a daily basis, more and more people flock towards the cities from villages, or from rural areas to urban areas. Therefore, it is safe to say, cities are involving to a much safer place to stay. Smart city innovations are keeping pace, with investments going towards improving public safety, transport, and energy efficiency.
4. Smart Industry
Humans make mistakes, but so does technology. However, human mistakes are a lot more common compared to technology making mistakes. This is the reason why many industries are choosing to become smart industries.