British telecom companies should not install the new Huawei 5G kit after September 2021, the government said on Monday as part of a plan to purge the Chinese firm’s equipment from high-speed mobile networks.
The UK has already ordered the removal of all Huawei devices from its 5G network by the end of 2027, with United States intelligence partners collapsing, who say the firm poses a security risk.
China has criticized the decision, while Huawei said last week that the UK was seeking to pull it out of the 5G roll-out following the publication of new laws that would cost firms up to GBP 1,00,000 (about Rs 99 lakh). Could be fined. Break the restriction.
The Monday announcement comes ahead of the debate in Parliament on the new telecom law and sets the timeframe for the removal of equipment.
“I am working a clear path to completely remove high-risk vendors from 5G networks,” Digital Minister Oliver Dowden said in a statement.
The government announced a new strategy to diversify the 5G supply chain, including an initial GBP 250 million (approximately Rs 2,500 crore) investment, testing in collaboration with Japanese firm NEC and the establishment of new research facilities.
The UK has already banned the purchase of new Huawei 5G kits after the end of the year.