The X-Men film franchise is one of the most successful in the world. The film series has thirteen installments in total, including spin-off films. Although starting with the first film, X-Men, is the most logical way to watch the series, it is not the only option.
It’s possible to get confused with the changing timelines and plots, which is why we’ve put together an order for all X-Men fans to start or re-watch the films.
What is the X-Men film series about?
Table of Contents
X-Men is a popular superhero film series that began on July 14, 2000, with the film X-Men and ended on August 28, 2020, with the film The New Mutants, based on the comic books written by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and published by Marvel.
The X-Men fight for peace and equality between ordinary humans and mutants in a world where anti-mutant bigotry is fierce and widespread. Professor X, also known as Charles Xavier, is their leader, a powerful mutant telepath who can read and control people’s minds. He and his teammates fight for humanity while also struggling to hold their team together.
X-Men Film Series Watch Order: According to the film’s original release date
- X-Men (2000)
- X2 (2003)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
- X-Men: First Class (2011)
- The Wolverine (2013)
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
- X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)
- Deadpool (2016)
- Logan (2017)
- Deadpool (2018)
- X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)
- The New Mutants (2020)
X-Men Film Series Watch Order: Chronological Watch Order
The best way to watch the X-Men movies is in chronological order, which is based on the years in which the fictional stories took place.
- X-Men: First Class (set in 1962, released in 2011)
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (set in 1973, released in 2014)
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (set in 1981, released in 2009)
- X-Men: Apocalypse (set in 1983, released in 2016)
- X-Men: Dark Phoenix (set in 1992, released in 2019)
- X-Men (set in 2000, released in 2000)
- X2: X-Men United (set in 2003, released in 2003)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (set in 2006, released in 2006)
- The Wolverine (set in 2013, released in 2013)
- Deadpool (set in 2016, released in 2016)
- The New Mutants (set in 2017, released in 2020)
- Deadpool 2 (2018, released in 2018)
- Logan (2029, released in 2017)
Aside from the release date and chronological order, the film series can be viewed as a trilogy or individually. X-Men, X2, and X-Men: The Last Stand, for example, or The Wolverine Trilogy, or The Deadpool and its sequel.
Stay tuned with Stanford Arts Review for the latest updates.