Sensors have made our life so easy. We can do various work with just one touch. It is basically a device that can sense changes around it and then send signals or information to its respective computer processor. It can sense a change in light, heat, motion, moisture, or pressure and respond accordingly. They are really sensitive and thus are able to sense the slightest movement around. All the automatic machines include sensors.
Types of Sensors:
There are many different types of sensors that sense different activities around them. Some of the most commonly used among them are: –
- Temperature sensors
- Pressure sensors
- Proximity sensors
- Accelerometer and Gyroscope sensors
- IR sensors
- Optical sensors
- Gas sensors
- Smoke sensors
- Humidity sensor
Sensors are nowadays used on daily basis. They can be found performing various activities like-
- Automotive: automotive features include braking and traction control where the sensors sense the speed of the wheels and send the signal to the driver. When a vehicle hits something causing an accident the respective sensors send signals and the airbag opens. There are sensors present in the front and backside of the vehicle which beeps when the vehicle comes very close to something. There are many other applications for navigation, safety measures, security, etc.
- Aviation: in the aviation industry tasks like navigation of aircraft, monitoring of various systems, control functions of instruments are done using sensors. This is then utilized for flight operations, to improve aircraft performance and design improvements.
- Medical and HealthCare: Sensors are present in medical equipment, surgical instruments, and devices that help the doctor by sending the required information. For example, in monitoring the blood pressure, glucose monitoring, automatically detecting the position of the spreading disease in the patient’s body, etc.
- Marine: In ships and submarines it helps to detect the level, pressure, and temperature of the fuel tank. Other sensors help to measure speed.